I can’t think of a worse feeling.
I know now that a lot of those episodes were brought on by stress. And I had a lot as an empty nester!
Thankfully, I made changes to manage stress and began doing the following:
- Reading my bible each morning
- Eating better
- Thinking positively
- Taking supplements
- Using essential oils
- Meditating and deep breathing
These new habits dramatically changed my life and have made those episodes a thing of the past.
Today I want to share a deep-breathing technique you can do quickly and easily if you’re wanting to make positive changes and get stress under control.
Just taking the time to breathe deeply is so beneficial for your mind and body – it relieves stress, calms the mind and improves blood flow.
How to breathe deeply to manage stress
- Put one of your favorite essentials oils in a diffuser where you plan to do this (I love lavender, Balance or Serenity).
- Sit in a comfortable position with your hands on your knees. Relax your shoulders and close your eyes.
- Slowly breathe in through your nose.
- Exhale slowly, counting to five while you do and tightening your abdominal muscles.
- Pause for two counts after you exhale.
- Slowly inhale while you count to five and expand your belly as you breathe in.
- Repeat 5-10 times.
If your mind wanders while you’re doing this, don’t worry. Just acknowledge what comes to mind and let it go by refocusing on your counting.
Taking a few minutes to breathe deeply helps clear your mind and improve clarity, making those stressful situations feel so much more manageable. Try this exercise in the morning, before you go to bed and whenever you feel overwhelmed.
Want more simple stress-relieving tips?
Check out my free guide with my 3 favorite ways to manage stress quickly. They take very little time out of your day and, most importantly, they work.